Sunday, August 24, 2008

The MIDDLE SISTER!

Yikes! If I had any idea what I was in for, I don't think I would have said yes to this hike. It was pretty intense for me. The other mountaineers pictured below weren't phased, but I am happy to be alive today. It was crazy, but really fun to hang out with these guys and camp on a mountainside. I would do that part again in a heartbeat. From base camp to the summit was a different story. No trail, climbing rock walls, and crossing glaciers to get to the top. Wow!
Here's the crew we went with...the Fords and Liddells. It was great to spend time with them! I loved this part of the hike, even if Eric took the scenic route (adding a couple miles) to base camp.
Lovely picture of me with the pack, but check out the scenery!
The picture below is one of the sights we saw on the scenic route...Obsidian Falls. The picture is dark, but it was beautiful!
This is the Middle Sister from a meadow we came across about an hour before we got to base camp. We hiked straight up between those two humps of trees. It was steep and I was ready for dinner and bed by the time we got to camp.

Gathering to check out the map Nyle was tired too. He hadn't eaten lunch that day, so he was really hungry!

Some of the rocks we climbed!

Taking a break and checking out the view.


Check out the "trail!"


That's Trisha sitting on the "saddle." That is where we sat while the guys summited. From that point on was pretty sketchy. Cliffs on both sides, and you had to pretty much climb on your hands and knees. Not for me! I made my goal!

Here's Nyle and Jodi
Some views from the top!

Nyle said there was nothing on the side of this rock, just a drop off! Scarey!

Good job Nyle!

Nyle, Eric and Barrett


This is part of the glacier we crossed to get to the top. Just remember, we had to come down it too! How do you think Nyle would attempt that? Yep, just ski down with his shoes! He had to pull me down by my ankles, while I slid on my butt. I screamed all the way down. I was very wet and sore when we got down.


Finally, headed down...on a trail.
Gorgeous meadows with streams, views of the mountains and lots of wildflowers were everywhere! It was beautiful!
Wild Lupins everywhere! Where else can you see that? It smelled amazing!
Bye bye mountain! Maybe we'll see you next year. Anyone want to join us? I think I will stay at base camp next time.

7 comments:

Julia said...

I totally want to go next yeat. It looks so beautiful! But that does look like a pretty intense hike! But way to go! you did it!

Anonymous said...

So now I know what we are doing this weekend.

Cassie said...

Your right all those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!! I have to say I am super impressed! You guys are ALWAYS up to something fun!

Beth said...

WOW. WOW. WOW. To answer your question, NO, I don't want to go next year - but WOW. It looks amazing and awesome and I am so proud of you! That's a cool thing to do. The drop-offs and glaciers and rock climbing... NOT so much my thing. But, you go girl! :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is an amazing hike you took! I can't believe you did that. BEAUTIFUL scenery and I would LOVE to be in the field of wild lupins - amazing, they are beautiful. I am sooo proud of all of you.

Kirstin said...

That looks gorgeous! I want to do that! Your family is so stinkin cute! Miss you guys!

Erin said...

WOW! you are so adventurous, and that looks like a really intense hike...but so gorgeous! you probably don't need to add that one to my list of things to do when we come visit, I don't think I would like falling down a cliff...but I would love to see all that scenery!